Wednesday, 31 October 2007

Roast, Ralf, Railway Stations, Rain and Rolling Countryside

Roast, Ralf, Railway Stations, Rain and Rolling Countryside
Well I promised this blog to be published a lot quicker than the last so here goes...
Regarding the subject heading of the blog.... It basically sums up ourlast few days in Switzerland except for the Roast
part, so I'll get that out the way now.
Firstly the ROAST... This part is for my two buddies in Joburg who get to pick up us gypsies from the airport. Am I allowed
to put in my request for the following now? Roast Meat (not fussy which one - however after seeing the cute cows with bells
around their necks in Switzerland, I think I'd feel guilty eating Beef :), then roast potatoes, cauliflower and cheese,
butternut, peas and lots of gravy (nothing boiled or fried). Is that a tall order or what? I don't even mind cooking it,
just as long as I have a bigger space than 1,5 meter squared to cook it in :)
Well 3 days ago we headed towards Switzerland. Once again an unplanned part of our trip as it took place sooner than later.
We left France at about 11am on Friday with a relatively short distance to drive (1.5 hrs), can you believe that's how far we
were from Switzerland. Well the drive turned out to be much longer because we had to stop to find out how we could get
internet access in Switzerland. Our original plan was to use Annecy (France) as a base, go to Switzerland on
Fridayafternoon, spend the weekend there and come back Sunday afternoon so that we could work again on the Monday. Then re-
do this trip on Friday afternoon again.
On reaching Switzerland, we drove into Geneva where Dean parked the van. I was to venture into the town in search of the
Tourist Information. Well I never quite got there because I saw an ORANGE shop. This is the wireless internet provider that
we were using in France. I went into the shop where I was second in the queue. Well an hour later and after 2 people behind
me were rude enough to jump the queue,I was still standing in the queue having got nowhere because ORANGE don't offer
wireless internet in Switzerland. Instead I was to approach Swisscom. I left the shop and turned around in every direction
and couldn't remember where the van was. For a few minutes, I panicked. I couldn't even think of a landmark where the van
was. Anyway I eventually found my way back to a hopeful looking Dean but I had no good news to tell him.
Our journey continued, until I eventually found a Swisscom. Dean parked the van and I ran in. Much more organised with about
9 people to help and you took a number from a machine and the number was called out. Aaagh success at last at a price. 50
Swiss Frans for 135 minutes of internet airtime. VERY expensive BUT it enables us to stay on in Switerland and not have to
drive back to France. So if you're not hearing often from us, it's because we quickly download mail, disconnect, type
responses and re-connect. Of course we constantly have to watch the battery power on the pc and van as well.
So off we headed to Interlaken. We remembered going there years ago and loving it. Well the Swiss, although much friendlier
than the French, definitely do NOT want campervans in their town. The first night we arrived we drove around for 3.5 hrs
looking for a parking that allowed overnight camping. We eventually found one but made sure that we left early in the
morning.The next day we decided to go up to the top of the Jungfrau mountain so that we could see snow. The trip us was really fun.
It took 2,5 hrs either way. The beautiful little Swiss Chalets on the way up are simply gorgeous as well as all the cows
that just seem to appear everywhere. On reaching the top, we walked through what is called the "The Ice Palace". It
consisted of walls of ice and ice sculptures. Of course Tanner, decides it's an ice-skating rink and goes flying and because
he is such a role model to B.O.J. No. 3 (Bundle of Joy), Jetan decides to try the same thing and lands flat on his bum and in
tears! Have I mentioned how cold we were at this point? Jesse was already complainingFinally we made it to the doors that led to the snow - and we stopped! Deciding that we need every bit of available material
that we have, to cover us. By now we had already lost one beanie hat so that left one of us without a hat. So we had to
take it in turns to go out. First it was Dean and Tanner. They came in with noses streaming and eyes running but with huge
grins on their faces. Oh yes, not just a grin on Tanner's face but also a huge bruise we he had falled on the ice. I have
been told that he sobbed his little heart out when this happened.Next it was my turn. Off I went armed with my camera. Scarf on, gloves on... Did I mention how cold it was????? The wind
was very strong, I could barely stand up straight. The ice was also very slippery but instead of being concerned about my
rear end maybe taking a fall, I had to protect the camera hanging around my neck BUT even through all of this it was
definitely a memorable experience. I started to make my way down and met with a snowball - my other half thought it was a
good idea to send one my way. I would have loved to have retailiated but there was no way I was even bending down in case my
face met the ice.On coming back in, Jesse was feeling even more nauseous and I started feeling really lightheaded. Oh yes I never actually
got onto the next part of my subject heading.RALF - have you heard of saying "Hello to Raaalf" Well that's Jesse. On reaching the snowtop doors, he had to find the first
available bin to puke into, after that it was a packet. I then found myself running to the nearest place I could to get a
packet. The run was not far - maybe 200m but by the time I turned around to come back I was absolutely out of breath. At
that altitude and in the cold it is just so difficult to breathe. I am sure that this was so much worse for Jesse but we
hadn't thought . In fact when I was running back there was a lady passed out on the ground and she was been given oxygen.Jesse finally ventured into the snow and loved it but wasn't there too long. We never took Jetan out because of the ice
being so slippery.We decided we needed warming up so made out way to the restaurant. Why I bother to make packed lunches I just don't know!!!We landed up ordering a huge plate of chips and a huge plate of spaghetti bolognaise - 7 Franks and 17 Franks - That comes
to about R130.00 but we felt so much better afterwards. It actually took about an hour or so for all of us to feel normal.Dean and Tanner went out again while I sat behind with Jesse, who was by now lying sprawled on the floor under the table,
still puking into a bag (yup in a restaurant) and Jetan who was absolutely impossible. Now for those of you have read my
London Blog, I have to ask - Why do I always get stuck with the puking child. It was not looking promising for our trip
home. At 3:45pm we caught the train back. It was so funny to see EVERYONE on the train sleeping. Everyone was absolutely
exhausted. The trip up and down required us to board 3 different trains each way. Very tiring with 3 kids.On the second to last train back, Jetan desperately needed a nappy change. I had wanted to go to the toilet to change him
but couldn't for fear of missing the connecting train. So yup, you guessed it, he had to be changed on the train. So there
we have it - Puke and Crap!!! Fun being a parent isn't it?On the very last train home Jesse and I sat opposite a man in his mid 40's. He was very quiet until Jesse starting puking
again (By now we're on our 4th bag). Well now he thought he could converse with us. No matter how many times we said to him
we don't speak German, he decided to talk. He talked the entire trip. It drove me nuts. I was only too glad to leave the
train.That night we found another sleeping spot between a main road that runs along the mountain and a lake. There were no lights
at all, so when we eventually turned ours off, it was pitch black. This spot was good for us because we could run the
generator and no-one could hear.The next day we took a walk around the town, and had to visit a laundromat. Whilst parked, a gentleman came and told Dean
where he could park for the night. It was about a minute away behind a building, next to a running river. The river was so
loud that no-one could hear the generator running so it was perfect.
Well that brings us to Yesterday and to RAIN and ROLLING Country side. We decided that we needed to head towards Luzerne,
which is further North. Well it rained the entire way but to make matters worse the trip took us up along the windy curving
roads of the mountain. I was a nervous wreck the entire way. Although beautiful, it was a very scary trip. I think both
Dean and I barely breathed the entire way.
And finally RAILWAY STATIONS. Since being overseas, these seem to be our local hangout because of the internet. I now hate
Railway Stations and never want to go near them again. Everyone is in a hurry!Today we didn't have to go because we found FREEEEEE Internet. The only problem is that it is at a parking lot which is very
expensive to park out. So Dean just keeps the engine running in case we have to make a quick getaway. It is a park where
old people walk their dogs and I am sure that judging by the looks on their faces that they think a camper van comes from
outerspace.
Well that is now us all up to date. We have walked around the Old City of Luzerne today and are heading for Munich tomorrow
where we hope to visit the Lindt Chocolate Factory.
xxx Marielle and all the guys.

1 comment:

Marina said...

Remember MY chocolate and dont let the kids eat it, keep those bags handy for Jesse for when he turns green and all the up-chuck after he will probably sample every chocolate in the store, Rember I like praline, hazelnuts and plain. OKAY I HAVE JUST PLACED MY ORDER