Monday, 16 July 2007

Marielle's catchup blog

Hi there. Dean hasn't posted a blog for a while so I thought I would have a go. The days are so long at the moment and 2 days ago literally feel really like a week ago. This morning I was asking Dean where we slept on Saturday night and we really had to think about it. So I will be writing this blog fairly slowly as I need to think. (no comment needed from anyone!)
On Wednesday, we were still at the campsite Houttrak, in Holland. This site really became a base for us because of the relatively affordable internet access. We took the kids to a place called Tun Fun. It is an old metro rail station that is underground. It has been converted into a kiddies playground. Kids heaven, parent's hell. The boys were going in 3 different directions which was really quite scary. They had lots of fun.
On Thursday we needed to go do a bit of shopping and found a shop called IKEA. It is basically a huge Makro but instead of it being one big Warehouse, it's a huge building with different arms to it, so you go through the one section (which could be the linen department) and then the one arm goes off to the kitchenware and so on... The point to this story is that Jesse thought he would go for a little walk. Dean, me, Tanner and Jetan were looking for duvets not realising that Jesse had drifted away. Dean had to go to the van to fetch something. It was at this point that I did hear some crying and just knew it was Jesse. I called for him but there was no way he could hear me. I didn't know which direction to turn in because of all the different sections of the shop and I didn't want to leave where I was because I had to wait for Dean to come back. After about 5 minutes - an announcement came over the interkom, that Jesse Squire, 11 years old was at the front, please can his parents pick him up. I was so relieved but as you can guess was furious with him. I had to leave where I was, drag Tanner and Jetan to where he was (it took quite a while to get to him). When I got to him he was seated between 2 security guards and I really felt that I was given the look that said "you really need to pay more attention to your children!" I had visions of them locking me up. I then had to hurry back into the shop but fortunately as I was walking in I saw Dean. Well I am glad to say that Jesse didn't let go of me all day.
On Friday, we had to go into Amsterdam, because our second born decided to leave Jetan's little sachel at BW Campers. I wouldn't have really minded leaving the nappies and clothing but my BRAND NEW prescription glasses were in that bag and there was NO WAY I was leaving them. There is a history to these glasses but to cut it short, 6 weeks ago, the first pair got stolen, 5 weeks ago I replaced them, 4 weeks ago I lost the replaced ones and and then had to replace those.
Anyway I've gone off on a tangent....
On Friday night, we found an Aire in a place called Gorichem. (Still in Netherlands). For those of you who don't know - an Aire is a camper stop (not a campsite). It is either free or very cheap but may have no services such as water, toilets, waste dispoal etc. But the place we stopped was gorgeous, right on the beach. Jesse and Tanner swam in the sea (Waterpoort) until about 9:30 that night.
Saturday, we then made our way to Calais. Dean had to ask a Frenchman to put petrol in our car and then we paid him cash because we didn't have a card.(SA credit cards dont work in french petrol pumps) A long drive of about 5 hrs (should have been 3!) Got to the Ferry Terminal at about 4pm, bought our tickets to Dover. Joined the line to drive onto the ferry at 10:30pm, witnessed the most beautiful fireworks display I have ever seen. It went on for about 45 minutes. I guess it was some kind of holiday in France. At 11:45pm we drove onto the Ferry. ALL the boys were awake and very excited! Tanner drifted off to sleep on my lap at about 1pm. We left the ferry at about 2pm and found a place to park for the night. In a parking lot, in a marina, just outside the ferry terminal. We would NEVER dream of doing that in S.A.
On Sunday morning Dean woke up at 6am - that's right!!!! I was shocked to! He went walking around looking for a tap so that we could fill up the van. His findings were good and we didn't even have to pay for it. After being in the Netherlands, that was a relief. You pay for EVERYTHING in the Netherlands. I really started to get annoyed when the boys kept asking to go to the toilet when we were out - at 50c a time (R5.00) it was getting kinda expensive.We then went to breakfast at the Premier Inn. By then it was bucketing down with rain. I eventually got to wear my new Pink wellington boots so it was fine with me :)Then we ventured to the entrance to the gates of the white cliffs of Dover. So far, I have to say, that this was the highlight of Dean's and my trip. Only God could have made something so beautiful. After a bit of walking, we eventually decided that we would pay the 25 pounds and go to Dover Castle. It was worth every cent that we spent. We had a tour through the secret wartime tunnels - the boys really enjoyed this. After a lovely day out, we came back to a 30 pound fine on the van. Unfortunatley we couldn't park in the normal parking because of the height restrictions of the van so we parked in the coach parking - Bad move!!!
Sunday afternoon, we were exhausted and couldn't bear to drive around looking for a place to sleep. So we drove to a town called Folkstone. Found a campsite at 24 Pounds. I also needed to do lots of washing. I am going to kiss my washing machine and tumble dryer when I get home! But at least we could stay in a place that was really clean and the boys could play.
That brings us to today. We left the campsite and were refunded 6 pounds because we decided to sign up and join the caravan club - at a fee of 30 pounds of course! But that entitles us to stay in lots of places at reduced rates.
We have finally settled for tonight at a farm. Only 4 pounds this time but no toilets or showers- just an open field.Dean is making a braai at the moment. It is quite late already, almost 8pm, but broad daylight outside although fairly chilly.
Tomorrow we head towards South Hampton to go to the New Forest area. We plan to spend a few days there and then on about the 21st head back up towards Norton, Stockton on Tees, back to Sam.
So on that note, I will love and leave you.
M.

2 comments:

Marina said...

Did you eat boerewors for the braai?

Marina said...

Oh by the way that would be Bastille Day, "shame on you Marielle."