Thursday, 06 September 2007

London - Love it or Hate it!

Today is Wednesday and we have reached the end of our 3 days pounding the streets of London - Yay!!!! While I was so excited to come here, it has really been exhausting. Anyway back to last weekend.
We visited Adrian and Wanda and spent a lovely weekend with them. Of course Jesse was absolutely thrilled to see Warwick.
Adrian and Wanda took us to a Lebanese Restaurant where we had a stunning lunch. We even took photos of it! On Sunday we visited Knebworth Castle. We never actually went into the castle but the gardens are really stunning. The Castle was hosting a Jousting event which was lots of fun to watch.
At about 3:30pm, we left Knebworth and made our way towards London to an area called Crystal Palace. We had booked in to the campsite for 4 nights eagerly anticipating our London visit.
On Monday morning, the Squire eager beavers got ready with a pram full of Jackets (never really needed them much) and our all day bus/underground train ticket and headed off to Picadilly Circus. We had planned to jump on a tube during the course of the day to visit various places HOWEVER Monday was the first day of tube strikes and it has continued thus far. Very
annoying BUT at least lots of walking was done. In fact I don't know how the boys actually coped cause by the end of each day my legs have been really sore.
To cut a long story short, we have not really visited any place in particular but have rather just walked from one tourist attraction to another. On Monday we took the kids to Hamleys (The huge toy store), they had lots of fun. We walked around Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Squire, The London eye. On Tuesday we went to visit the British Museum - (this had no entry fee
- whoopee!!) this was very interesting and we could have spent the whole day there but I don't think the kids would have been too happy to do that. We also made our way to Buckingham Palace along The Mall. We took a turn around Harrods - Only for the rich and famous I tell yoU!!Today was a bit unorganised. We had planned to go back to Buckingham Palace to see the changing of the guard but we didn't make it in time. We decided to head towards Madame Tussauds. We were horrified at the cost but fortunately I had 2 tickets which allowed a free entry for each paying person. So instead of 4 tickets we only paid for 2. BUT it cost enough!!!!So that was basically it besides spending an obscene fortune on food - gulp!!!!!
Monday and Tuesday night we only arrived home at about 10pm or so, the kids were absolutely finished. The bus ride in and out was almost an hour each way so that contributed to the added hours. Of course with barely any tubes running, the buses and traffic was horrendous.
TONIGHT was a bus ride from hell!!! We left London at about 7:30pm, Dean and Tanner headed to the top of the bus while I stayed downstairs with Jesse and Jetan. Jetan was in top form and absolutely refused to sit down. Jesse on the other hand was feeling really nauseous. He first started off sitting behind me, then landed up on the floor in front of me with his
head on my lap, he then moved a bit further back in the bus. It was after about 10 minutes that I discovered to my horror that he had falled asleep lying across 2 chairs - IN A FULL BUS! I had to deposit Jetan on a chair and go and wake him up.
Had I known what was in store for me I would have left him sleeping! I then put him in my chair and stood next to Jetan when he promptly tells me he needs to throw up. I grab the packet out my pocket (for this intended purpose as he hadn't been feeling well before we bordered the bus) and hand it to him. So here we have one three-year old jumping up and down, and one twelve year old crouching down on the floor puking into a packet. A packet that we discover has holes in it!!! From about 3 different directions I get handed tissues and another plastic packet. Like an efficient mom I promptly place the now puke filled bag into the spare plastic packet and proceed to clean up the mess - all the while Jetan is jumping up and down and I have a lady of about 70 years in age seated right next to me. At this moment in time all I could think of was - please let the mental telepathy work and Dean come down - but nope, nothing happens!
After about 20 minutes Dean comes sauntering down the steps with a huge smile on his face, oblivious to the trauma I have just been threw. He heads towards the front of the bus to fetch the pram and sends Tanner to me - now I have 3 boys!!!! One still jumping, the other one still green and Tanner! and of course looks from the passengers. I don't know if they were looks of sympathy for what I had to cope with or thoughts of "hasn't she heard of contraception?".
Well after about 10 minutes, in a chocka block bus, I am finally granted the relief of leaving the bus. So I pick up the 3 year old, usher the 7 year old forward while the 12 year old is hanging on to me. Jesse then stands in front of the double doors and says "Mom, I need to throw up"- and I tell him "No, you don't" but he is going all shades of green as he stares at me.
Well you can guess what happened the moment the doors opened!!!
We got back, boys went to shower and we have just discovered that there is a leak in the water pipe.
All this and only 3 hours of sleep last night - Charming!!!!

2 comments:

Marina said...

And after all of that you didnt even buy a soap from Harrods like you did on your 1994 trip, it would have come in handy to clean up Jesse. Tell him how much money he owes you after buying London food and then proceeding to throw up what could have been a cordon bleu meal in rands. Besides the sites that you are seeing I dont envy you, if I ever go over there it wont be with Dana or Mackenzie, oh okay i am not that bad, maybe I will only opt to take Dana, although she will probably find every stone, curb or pole, to either bump her toe on, trip over or bump into. And as for you Dean you need to hone in on your telepathic skills while you are there, but Marielle, you know what I would have done, I would have left both kids to sit on the chair gone to the bottom of the stairs and screamed towards the upstairs til he heard me and came down to help, but that's just me, and they say we come from the same family.

Reverend said...

Hi Guys, It's Sunday nite and I am lying in bed, getting ready for my beauty sleep. I hope that you are all well and I hope that you haven't lost your way. We are missing you all and look forward to hearing from you soon. God Bless. Rev