Thursday, 28 June 2007

Decisions Decisions Decisions

Well. Just a few more days before we catch the ferry to Amsterdam and pick up our campervan. Been visiting a few shops today....bought a small DVD player for use on the road, plus a 12v to 220v Invertor, so we can use the motorhome batteries for powering normal appliances. The biggest decision was to ditch the idea of buying a satellite dish, and rather use T-Mobiles 3G Wireless internet product in the UK, and put the rest of the savings from the sat dish, towards camping sites in Europe which offer WiFi. We have a CD which we ordered off the web back in South Africa, which shows where these camping sites are, so we should be ok. It's a bit of a risk, but one we have decided to take. Should mean we dont have to set up the sat dish each day, but instead just click a "Connect" button on the laptop. I think one of the things which put me off about Bentley Walker, was that although I was prepared to spend a huge amount of money on the sat dish hardware, they wouldnt give me any help or training to explain how it works. They wanted me to pay 150 pounds for an "engineer" to show us the ropes, and wouldnt budge when I mentioned that the exchange rate from the UK to South Africa was 15:1 . They told me that by giving me an hour or two of training, meant that they were losing business elsewhere, so needed to charge me. I'm glad to say I found another option, and they dont have to worry any longer. Right now I'm sitting using the T-Mobile connection and I'm very happy with it. Was simple to set up, and even though the guy in the "CarphoneWarehouse"shop told me to wait 12-24hrs, I got curious, and set it up after 4hours without a problem. Tomorrow we hope to go to a CarBoot market. Will let you know what that's all about :)

chow4now

3 comments:

Reverend said...

Howzit - what did you do to the weather. It was fine before you left. What did you do?

Bev said...

Hi this is a test to see if I am getting through

Bev said...

YAYY IT WORKS.
Well you missed the snowfall in jhb being the heaviest since 1981.Needless to say it is freezing here in "Hot"Durbs.No cenral heating here.Missed you at cell, it was curry nite at Vimie's, read this and weep...Shane to come on board with his new electric guitar from sunday.I am going to read out your ramblings on Sunday.gotta let the folk know where and what you guys are up to. love u lots