Friday, 29 June 2007

Quick TitBit before bedtime


I tried posting earlier...but then my TMobile disconnected, so I lost the entire thing. Lesson learned. From now on I will blog offline and then just connect, post, and carry on :)
It's been great reading all the posts from friends to some of our blog entries :) Keep them coming. Thanks guys/gals! I'll try and make this a quick fun blog:


Summary so far:
We are all fine and happy, and picking up our motorhome next Monday, after catching a ferry (huge ship actually) from Newcastle to Amsterdam. Funny thing is that a month ago we were dreaming of this advanture, and here we are living it. Interestingly enough, a person's faith is really only tested when you're away from home base. In the UK I feel as though for once we get to exercise our faith a little...not standing on a T box and shouting out "You need to turn or burn", but it's more on a personal level. A relationship with God is more real when you're in a strange country. You either find yourself praying a little more, or a little less. I find myself praying a little more, but in really short bursts here and there...like when two big dogs came bounding towards me while I was walking across a bit of a field yesterday...ha ha. Luckily they stopped and listened to the little woman's voice shouting "cmere Killer...down boy...dont eat the man.. ha ha ha".
So far everything has fallen into place. I've even organised some cable from a family friend which I'll be able to use to connect up our invertor in the camper. It was one of the things I was a little worried about...but life is about trusting that tomorrow, someone will be there, with the answers. (Let's hope I'm still this positive when we get onto the Continent. If I feel there's a total lack of churches in the UK, I'm expecting even less in France and Holland.) For those of you reading this, who dont like God (wouldnt know why, he's really quite cool), I promise not to make a habit of getting churchy throughout this blog. Bear in mind that we do have a whole churchful of people back in South Africa, who really are interested in knowing whether we've "drifted away from the faith" hehehe.
We've been told our kids are really well behaved. I had to ask the guy twice.."are you talking about MY kids"....?..."mine"...are you sure????" It does seem that he was, so I accept the compliment :) Have I mentioned that on a few occassions, when engaged in a solid reprimand, my 3yr old has turned round and declared " Dont shout at meeeee ". You see when the kids sometimes forget there manners and shout at their Mom, she swings round and says "Dont you dare shout at me.. so of course the 3yr old now thinks it's a great term to use...haha.
yesterday I walked to a friends house to use their Internet connection, opened the door to their house, and set off the alarm. First thought was that the cops were going to come bursting down the road. I didnt have their cell number, and all the neighbours were peering out their windows. Jesse (my 12 yr old) wanted to take off running down the road. I had thoughts of trying to explain to the cops that I was just visiting the UK and I really did have passports...and the laptop I was carrying wasnt stolen goods. Luckily we made it back to where we had already walked from, and got back in the car, friend in tow, to switch it off. No harm done, and no weekend in a British jail while trying to explain who I was.
:)
more to come. Marielle plans to blog tomorrow. Watch this space.!

1 comment:

Paul and Janita said...

Dear Squires,

Love your story!! We identify with it ALL! We took three kids about the same age on a van trip for 4 months 20 years ago. We have been back since 2000-01 and we return this sept. We have no web log (such things didn't exist!) of our 1987 trip - but our kids were about the same age and we made all the same mistakes and had almost as great a time. We hired our van from BW in 2000-01 and we are with them again this time - 3 months by van + 2 months doing other things.

You might enjoy our stories of Europe & US at www.brisbanecornershop.com

cheers

Paul & Janita
Brisbane
Australia